Friday, February 17, 2006

We Have No Idea What We're Doing

The other night we finished watching some animated movie about fifteen minutes before bedtime for the Boy (v. 1). I was flipping through the channel guide and noticed that Kill Bill Vol. 1 was on. My wife mentioned that perhaps the content of the film was not appropriate for a two year old, but I forged ahead nevertheless.

Right now might be a good time to announce that I'm working on a parenting book tentatively titled "Shake 'Em," so I might not be the best judge of these things. Don't tell them, but the more I'm around my children, the more I realize how little control I have over them. I just hope they don't grow up and kill anyone who doesn't deserve it. I would have changed the channel had Uma been chopping off limbs.

Lucky me--limbs were not flying, blood was not spurting, and no one was cursing. It was the scene where Uma goes to Sonny Chiba to get a sword. If you haven't seen it, Sonny takes her upstairs to see his collection. He lets her take a look at one of the samples, and she nearly bursts with joy at the craftsmanship. She unsheaths the sword, making that "Shiiiink!" sound. *smile*

Sonny walks up the stairs. He says "You like samurai sword," and takes a baseball out of his pocket. He tosses the ball in the air. "I like baseball," and throws it at her. Shiiiink! Two perfect halves fall to the floor before spinning to a stop.

Hysterics. I mean a full belly laugh from the Boy (v. 1). Nothing on t.v., not Madagascar, not Monsters, Inc., not Toy Story 1 or 2, not A Shark Tale, nothing has made the Boy laugh that hard.

The baseball scene has been saved on our Tivo.

Keep that in mind next time you hear how hard it is to adopt a kid in America.

No comments: