Tuesday, December 13, 2005

For What It Is Worth

King Kong is getting stellar reviews. For example, here is Roger Ebert's take:

The result is a surprisingly involving and rather beautiful movie -- one that will appeal strongly to the primary action audience, and also cross over to people who have no plans to see "King Kong" but will change their minds the more they hear. I think the film even has a message, and it isn't that beauty killed the beast. It's that we feel threatened by beauty, especially when it overwhelms us, and we pay a terrible price when we try to deny its essential nature and turn it into a product, or a target. This is one of the year's best films.
I'm sure they are correct and that King Kong is a good movie, but I'm having trouble being enthusiastic because I know everything that is going to happen (I just watched the original the other day). Let me put it this way: it is a great thing Peter Jackson made another good movie, because now I am really excited to see what he does next.

No comments: