Monday, April 03, 2006

Something That Probably Interests Only Me...

...And is torture for our friend Robert, a native of Kansas who has been on a Fulbright to Norway since last fall.

This past weekend was the spring friends of the library book sale at the Lawrence Public Library. The whole family took the trip on beautiful sunny Saturday and had a good time. Dominic got nine new books on trains, and I got a pile of tomes to add to the library, including that Peter Schweizer book on Reagan. My best find by far was a hardcover edition of the Historical Statistics of the United States from Colonial Times to 1970, published in 1976. You can get is used on Amazon for $70 or $80. I got both volumes for $2.50 a piece. When I was researching my dissertation I spent an entire day at Ohio U's library just copying five pages of single spaced stats out of the HSUS because it is a reference book and can't be checked out of most libraries. Now I own it. Glorious. (Somewhere there is a nerd choir singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus after this paragraph.)

After the sale we went over to Free State Brewing Company and had an excellent lunch and some tasty beers. Nice weekend.

Oh, and our OU friends will be happy to know that I finally got a smoker--the kind that looks like R2D2. Two Saturdays ago I smoked a pork tenderloin, a chicken, a couple onions, and some sausages. Way too much food. I guess I was expecting you all to show up. What happened?

No comments: