Friday, January 28, 2005

Reeves Response

One last time... Thomas Reeves has responded to the recent brohaha over his post:

A NOTE TO CRITICS A few readers have become very nasty over my use of the URL cited in this article, on the ground that the website doesn't support my own view of the issue. Let me make it clear that for many years I have cited opposing sources in my publications if they present arguments that are rational, stimulating, and challenging. I did so here, and I will do so in future blogs. A good discussion of an issue is more important to the life of the mind than a mere intellectual reflex. Independent thinking is what education should be about. I first learned this lesson as a college debator, and I discussed it in my first book, published in 1969, when I was heavily under the influence of Robert M. Hutchins. I also talked about it in my two readers (McCarthy and JFK), where opposing views were presented.

No comments: