Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Rereading

Since (as I mentioned in an earlier comment) I rarely read fiction, the question of "rereading" is an interesting one. The list of fiction books that I have reread is pretty short. However, coming up with the list was easier than I expected after a quick glance over at my bookshelves.

1. Richard Llewellyn's "How Green Was My Valley"
2. J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye"
3. Arthur Koestler's "Darkness at Noon"
4. Albert Camus's "The Stranger"
5. James Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"
6. John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"

A non-fiction, non-history book I have read many times:

Cash, by Johnny Cash

As this list shows, I am not particularly sophisticated. "How Green Was My Valley" is good every time I read it. "Catcher in the Rye" reminds me of my anguished teenage years. "Darkness at Noon" is probably the best fiction book that I have read in adulthood. "The Stranger" reminds me of my dad-- I know that sounds bad. Joyce is worth the effort. "Grapes of Wrath" has always served as a kind of history of my family and everyone I knew growing up in the Central Valley. I know "High Fidelity" ruined it for everyone, but "Cash" is as good as everyone says it is.

Check the original discussion at HughHewitt.com

No comments: