Monday, October 11, 2004

Reader Mail

Marine II writes:

I have a question for you. Do you think the fact that al-Sadr’s men are turning in their weapons is due to the money incentive; or is it more than that. I was wondering if it has anything to do with the Afghanistan elections. Is the fact that the elections went off as well as they did an indication that what the U.S. is trying to accomplish, and that we are in fact over there to help restore their country to them rather than be an occupying force? It just seems that the timing is weird, or maybe it isn’t. Hopefully the Iraqis are starting to see that we really trying to hand their country back to them; and the Afghanistan elections are a good way to show that.
Who knows?


Me: I don't know. It seems at least plausible, especially considering that for once the media reporting seems to be generally positive on the elections in Afghanistan. I hope you are right, and I hope the fact that we are doing the right thing by the Iraqis will eventually overcome all the negative political b.s. that has hurt the effort this election season.

Like Red said, I hope.

No comments: